Over the past few months I’ve been tested in ways I could never have imagined. As a result my morning routine was completely out of whack – and some days, totally non-existent.
I couldn’t focus, my motivation levels were at a sucky all time low, and I was lacking my normal sparkly energy. I needed to get my groove back…pronto!
If you’ve been besties with me for a little while (cuz that’s what we are, right?!), then you’ll know how strongly I feel about starting my day with a loving morning routine.
But recently, I got to thinking about the word ‘routine’ and instantly my body had a very negative, physical reaction to the word. I felt heavy, sick and like I had to shake the cooties from my body.
So I looked up the definition of routine. Here’s what I discovered…
Routine [noun | rou•tine | roo-teen]:
- performed as part of a regular procedure rather than for a special reason
- commonplace tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity
- dull or uninteresting
- regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative, ordinary.
“Ordinary, unimaginative, regular procedure rather than for a special reason” Ick! No wonder my body had a negative response. I get that we all need routine in our life…but this…ewww this, I found to be COMPLETELY uninspiring.
My mind kept ticking. I found myself asking the question,
“What was it about my previous morning routine that felt SO amazing?”
Within seconds the answer hit me. My previous morning routine was full of gorgeous rituals that filled my love cup, which made me feel confident, creative, energized, focused and uber productive, for the duration of my entire day.
Here’s my questions to you, pretty lady:
What does your current morning routine look like?
And how does that routine make you feel?
- hitting the snooze button one too many times?
- frantically running around doing everything you need to do?
- wasting what feels like forever blankly gazing at your closet, only to decide you’ve got nothing to wear and instead throwing on the same boring outfit, because it works (you think)?
- frequently leaving the house feeling like you’ve forgotten something?
Maybe you feel:
rushed, stressed, anxious, overwhelmed, exhausted, uninspired, bored, like you’re in a rut or something else entirely.
Love, I TOTALLY understand.
It’s SO easy to fall into autopilot when it comes to your morning routine; after all, it’s something that we all have to do to get ready for the day.
But what if I told you that your morning routine could be EXTRAORDINARY and full of buzzing energy + excitement?!
You are worth a morning routine that not only feels so yummy and blissful, but also helps you to be a more self-confident, creative, productive, and focused, beauty?
Sounds pretty dreamy right?
Well lovely, it’s TOTALLY possible and it absolutely CAN be your reality!
So how do you take a sucky morning routine and make it something super lux + special?
I’m going to share one of my big glitter-filled secrets…
It’s all about incorporating rituals wrapped in self-love…you know, the ones that make you giddy with excitement to start your day.
Incorporate just one or two rituals to start with, until you feel comfortable. Then add as many more as you like. Find rituals that light-you-up and feel like a cozy blanket or a warm hug from a bestie. This way, you’re less likely to hit that snooze button one too many times!
Below is a list of really yummy morning rituals that may inspire your new dreamy morning routine:
- take a few minutes to strrrretttch your body like a kitty
- light your favorite scented candle and enjoy the aroma while you shower
- be completely present while you sip your favorite morning beverage
- go for a gentle walk or run…feel that fresh air entering your lungs
- apply a fun colored lipstick – go on, be bold!
- dry brush your body and apply a delish moisturizer – hello gorgeous glowing skin
- review your New Year devotions and take a moment to reflect on what you’ll today to move close to achieving your dreamy goals
- steep a pot of your favorite tea and drink it from a fancy tea cup
- lay down with one hand on your chest and the other on your tummy, practice some deep breathing for 5-minutes, feeling your chest and tummy rise and fall
- spend some time playing with your kitty, puppy or another furry family member
- give your yoga pants break and play dress-ups instead
- listen to an inspiring podcast or audiobook
- take a minute to soak in your inspiration board and visualize yourself in those moments
- pop on your favorite song and have a 5-minute dance party
- use your favorite notepad and pen to write a handwritten note of gratitude to a friend, colleague, or family member
- sip on a glass of lemon water while you apply a little makeup
- be completely present in the act of brushing your teeth…feel the minty freshness
- practice doing handstands in your underwear…why not?
- get your creative juices flowing by coloring an adult coloring book
- make yourself a delish green smoothie and sip away using a fun straw
- apply a 5-minutes face mask that lovingly tends to your skin’s needs
- get super present with a 30-minute yoga session or 10-minutes of guided meditation
- read a few pages of a book that you’ve been excited to read, but haven’t had the time
- create a cute braid in your hair
- in a sparkly notebook, write down 3 things you’re grateful for before climbing out of bed
- step outside and enjoy a nourishing breakfast with the sunshine on your face, the grass beneath your feet and appreciating the natural beauty that surrounds you.
If you’re thinking that you don’t have time for a single one of these rituals, I challenge you to reconsider. Forgo checking those emails and social media updates until later in the morning…they’ll still be there waiting for you! I promise.
By creating a morning routine that’s underpinned with gorgeous self-serving rituals, you’ve not only changed the physical and emotional tone of your morning, you’ve set yourself up to have a truly amazing day…and who doesn’t want that!
Now it’s over to you!
Is your morning routine in need of a little sparkling? Then you’ll adore Mirror Mirror – my free 5-day morning makeover challenge that feels like a confetti tossing party. CLICK HERE for all the loving details.